If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.Georgia.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


Saturday, October 23, 2010

Ideas for BOB Foods


When Farside and I held our Practice Bug Out Retreat, we each shared ideas on what types of foods we had packed. This may not be a new idea for many, but one never knows, so I am sharing what I often do when planning a campout and want to travel light but still eat familiar foods.



I premeasure oatmeal, salt and powdered milk into a vacuum sealed bag and place a sticker with the information on how much water to add when cooking it. Then I also have a sealed bag with my sugar, raisins and chopped pecans ready to go; a nice familiar feeling breakfast that would give me a lot of comfort if away from home. I also prepackage my loose black tea in homemade tea bags for use. The other sealed bag is a serving of complete Buttermilk pancake mix and a side of home dried blueberries, just add water. Tang breakfast drink rounds out a well balanced meal.

This idea can be used for lots of dried food items to go into your bug out bag. I recently purchased a cookbook called “Dinner Is In The Jar” by Kathy Cook. This book has many recipes for soups and stews using dehydrated vegetables, grains and pasta. With the addition of canned meat or freeze dried meat this would be heaven sent in case of a bug out situation or even a power failure at home. Farside and I kept a pot of water on the campfire continually for coffee or tea and a pot of soup could slowly simmer all day while one is working at other activities.

http://www.dinnerisinthejar.com/ For ordering information.
I plan to work through this cookbook to find recipes, tweak them to our taste that my family will enjoy and vacuum pack meal size amounts for my BOB. Having a home vacuum packer is a great way to assemble foods to carry that are more in keeping with what you are already enjoying on a regular basis. Do some creative brainstorming and see what favorites you can come up with using your vacuum packer to add to your BOB food selections.

------------------------------------------
Join the APN Forum at http://www.americanpreppersnetwork.net/
Visit the Georgia Forum at http://www.georgiapreppersnetwork.net/

No comments:

Georgia Prepper sNetwork Est. Jan 17, 2009 All contributed articles owned and protected by their respective authors and protected by their copyright. Georgia Preppers Network is a trademark protected by American Preppers Network Inc. All rights reserved. No content or articles may be reproduced without explicit written permission.